The Royals, the Beatles, the afternoon tea and Fish and Chips. All this British icons surely make the UK a great Au Pair destination. The best part: you will improve your English skills.

Au Pair Program in England and UK – At a Glance

Au Pair in England

Au Pair in England

Age: 17 – 30 years for European Union Citizens, 18 – 30 other nationalities
Duration: 6 – 24 months
Working time: 30 – 35 hours per week
Holiday: 4 weeks holiday for a 12-month stay. You will also have at least one day off per week. Once a month, this day must be a Sunday.
Travel costs: paid by the Au Pair.
Insurance: If you are an Au Pair from the EU you can apply for the European Health Insurance Card. If you have a different nationality then you will need a private health insurance. Host Families must register their Au Pair in the National Health Service (NHS).
Pocket money: 55 – 75 GBP per week

Requirements for European Union citizens

Requirements for other nationalities

are 17 – 30 years old
speak good English
are healthy and I don’t smoke
like taking care of children
can pay your travel expenses
are between 18 – 30 years old
can speak good English
are healthy and I don’t smoke
have experience taking care of children
are entitled to a visa
can pay your visa and travel expenses

Do not forget to verify all the information at UK Embassy in your residence country.

Au Pair in England/UK – Visa application

If you are an Au Pair from one of the EU member countries, you do not need a visa for your stay. f you have a different nationality you might be able to live the experience through the Youth Mobility Scheme or with a Student Visa for a long stay with a work permit.

Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme

Citizens from: Australia, Canada, Hong Kong*, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea* and Taiwan* can apply for the Tier 5 Visa. This permit will grant them the chance to live and work in the United Kingdom.
***Citizens from these countries need to be sponsored in order to apply for the visa

Requirements to apply for a Tier 5 visa:


  • are between 18 and 30 years old
  • have interest in living and working in the UK for up to 2 years
  • have never been in the UK with a Working Holiday Visa
  • are not married and do not have children of your own
  • can prove you have an amount of 1,890 pounds in savings
  • Student Visa

If you are a candidate from another country can be part of the program through a Student visa. This permit will make it possible to study and work in most jobs – depending on the course’s level and the sponsor they have.

Please be sure to check all the details regarding visa regulations in the UK’s visas and migration website.