Do not miss the chance to discover Scandinavia as an Au Pair in Finland. Live in the “Land of the midnight sun” and discover it’s more than a hundred thousand lakes.

Au Pair Program in Finland – At a Glance

Au Pair in Finland

Au Pair in Finland

Age: 17 – 30
Length of stay: 9 – 12 months
Working hours: 30 hours per week. Au Pairs can work up to 5 hours each day.
Holiday: you will get 1-2 week’s paid holiday for a 6-month stay. You will also have one free day per week.
Travel costs: Covered by you
Insurance: Paid by the Host Family. It needs to cover accidents and illness.
Pocket money: At least 70 € per week. Keep in mind that you will also pay taxes since this is considered a salary.
Language course: you need to attend to a language course in order to learn Finnish or Swedish
Visa: EU-applicants do not need a visa. Non-EU-candidates can apply for the Au Pair visa to Finland.

Requirements for European Union citizens:

Requirements for other nationalities:


  • are between 17 – 30 years old
  • can speak at least some Finnish or Swedish and are willing to learn about the culture.
  • have experience in childcare
  • can provide a medical report that proves you are fit
  • have a valid identity card or passport
  • haven’t been an Au Pair before

  • are between 18 – 30 years old
  • have childcare experience and enjoy spending time with kids
  • can present a recent medical report that indicates you are fit for the experience
  • speak at least basic Finnish or Swedish and want to discover the scandinavian culture
  • haven’t been an Au Pair before

Au Pair in Finland – Requirements and Visa

As an Au Pair from the European Union you do not need a visa to travel to Finland. However, you require a valid identity card to register at the local office to apply for a residence permit if the stay is longer than 90 days.


You need to apply for a visa in your home country. To get the visa, you will need a language certificate, clear criminal record, health certificate, reference letters of previous childcare experience and the filled appllication form.

Once in Finland, do not forget to register at the local office. For this step, you need a recent medical report and a confirmation of registration in a language course. Of course, you also need the signed Au Pair contract, daily schedule with the family and a valid passport.

For more information about the Au Pair visa to Finland please contact the Finnish embassy in your country of residence.