Croissants, Paris, fashion and elegance combine themselves with a rich history to make France one of the best destinations for an Au Pair.

The Au Pair program in France is the perfect opportunity to discover the french lifestyle and improve your French with a Host Family! Do not miss the chance!

Au Pair in France – At a Glance

Au Pair in France

Au Pair in France

  • Age: 18 – 26 years
  • Duration: 6 – 12 months
  • Working hours: max. 30 hours per week
  • Holidays: You are entitled to one week of vacation for a 6 month-stay. In addition, you have at least 1 ½ contiguous, free days a week.
  • Travel costs: You will need to pay for your travel expenses and visa costs in case you need one.
  • Insurance: If you are a citizen of any European Union country you can benefit from the French health system through the European Health Insurance Card. If you have another nationality, you will need a private insurance. In any case, you have to be registered at the Social Security System.
  • Pocket money: between 260 – 320 € per month
  • Visa requirements:
    If you are a citizen of EU / EEA countries and Switzerland, Andorra, Vatican, San Marino and Monaco do not need a visa. If you have any other nationality you need to request the Au Pair visa to France.

Requirements for European Union citizens:

Requirements for other nationalities:


  • speak at least basic French or have a good command of English
  • are not younger than 17 and not older than 30
  • have experience babysitting and taking care of children

  • are between 17 and 30 years old
  • have experience looking after children
  • are eligible for an Au Pair or Working Holiday visa
  • do not have your own children and you are not married

Au Pair in France – Visa application and residence permit

If you hold a passport from any European Union member State you will not need a visa to be an Au Pair in France. However, if your planned stay is longer than 90 days you need to make sure you register at the DIRECCTE.

If your country is not part of the European Union then you need an Au Pair visa. Some general requirements for this are:

  • Application form
  • Certificate of studies (an equivalent of High School in your country)
  • The invitation letter from the host family
  • A valid passport with at least two blank pages
  • The contract signed by the Au Pair and the host family
  • Insurance that protects you during your stay in France
  • Motivation letter in French
  • Once in France, you need to register at the local office to exchange your visa for a work permit. Do not forget to check the specific information on the official French migration website or the French Embassy in your country.