Being an Au Pair in Italy is the best way to learn italian and discover this interesting culture with a special passion for life. Italy will take your breath away with its impressive architecture, rich history and unique lifestyle. Discover its cafés, museums and monuments during a stay in Rome, Florence, Siena or any other Italian city.

Au Pair in Italy – At a Glance

Au Pair in Italy

Au Pair in Italy

Age: 18 – 30 years
Duration: 3 – 12 months
Working time: 30 hours per week
Holidays: 4 weeks holidays in a 12 month stay. You will also have one free day per week. At least once a month, this day needs to be a Sunday.
Travel costs: normally paid by the Au Pair.
Insurance: Au Pairs from the European Union are insured through the European Health Insurance Card. All other Au Pairs require a private insurance for their stay.
Pocket money: 260 € per month
Visa requirements: You do not need a visa if you are a EU national. In any other case, you will need to apply for this permit at the Italian embassy in your country.

Requirements for European Union citizens

Requirements for other nationalities

speak a bit of Italian or have a good command of English
are between 18 and 30 years old
like taking care of children
are 18 to 30 years old
can speak Italian or I can speak English fluently
have experience in taking care of children and enjoy to work with them
are entitled to a visa


Au Pair in Italy – Visa application and residence permit


As a EU citizen you do not need a visa. However, you need a valid identity card or passport to register at the police and get their residence permit.

Non-EU members

If you are a citizen of another country, you do need a visa to be an Au Pair. You have different options depending on your nationality: Working Holiday Visa or Student visa with Work permit.

You need to apply for the visa at the Italian embassy in your residence country. Once in Italy, you must process a residence permit at the local police station.

Working Holiday Visa

If you are a citizen of Australia, New Zealand or Canada, you can apply for a Working Holiday Visa in your residence country. Once approved it is time to start the adventure!

Student Visa

To get this visa, you will need to join a full time (20 hours a week) Italian course.

In case you want to stay for less than 90 days and your country does not need a tourist visa to Italy you might also be able to be an Au pair. For this, you will need a safety declaration, the request called Nulla Osta and send it to the Au Pair per post. We recommend to contact the Italian Embassy in case of any doubts.