Spanish is one of the most spoken languages around the world with over 470 million native speakers. It is also the official language in 20 countries. The best way to learn it is as an Au Pair in Spain!
During your experience you will also be able to discover a new culture, travel to cities like Barcelona, Sevilla and Madrid and of course enjoy the Spanish lifestyle.

Au Pair in Spain – At a Glance

Au Pair in Spain

Au Pair in Spain

Age: 18 – 30 years old
Length of stay: 3 – 12 Months
Working hours: 30 hours per week
Holiday: You will get 4 free weeks during a 12 months stay. You will also have at least one day off each week, Once a month, this day should be a Sunday.
Traveling expenses: covered by Au Pairs.
Insurance: You need to register with the National Health Service and Social Services (“Social Security”). If you are from a European Union member country you can apply for the European Health Insurance Card. Otherwise, you will need to get a private insurance.
Pocket money: 210 – 280 € per month.
Visa requirements: If you have a EU citizenship you do not require a visa. In other cases, you will either need an Au Pair visa or a Student visa with a work permit.


Requirements for European Union citizens

Requirements for other nationalities


  • speak at least basic Spanish or have a good command of English
  • are 17-30 years old
  • have experience in child care
  • can afford the travel expenses

  • speak some Spanish or have a good English level
  • are 18-30 years old
  • have experience taking care of kids (you have babysitted before)
  • are eligible for a visa
  • can pay your travel and visa expenses

Au Pair in Spain – Visa application

If you do not hold a European Union passport you need a visa to enjoy the adventure in Spain. However, there are different types of visa available depending on your nationality.


If you are Australian and you want to stay more than 90 days in Span then you can apply for an Au Pair visa. You will need to submit the application in the Spanish Embassy in Canberra algo with evidence of funds, round trip tickets, travel insurance and a medical certificate.

You can also apply for a Young Mobilty visa. This visa allows you to study and work in Spain for up to 1 year. Consider that with this visa you will not be able to stay with the same host family for more than 6 months.

Check all the requirements at the Spanish Embassy website.


If you are canadian you can apply for a Young Mobilty Program. For this visa you need to be 18-35 years old, have a valid passport, have sufficient funds to return to Canada, prove you have financial resources for the first months in Spain and have a medical insurance.


If you are from New Zealand, you can apply for a Working Holiday visa to be an Au Pair in Spain. You need to be at least 18 and not older than 30 years old, have enough money for a return ticket and to sustain yourself and have a health insurance.
Consider you can only have the Working Holiday Visa once. You can also stay a maximum of 6 months with the same family.


American citizens can live the experience in Spain for up to 90 days without needing a visa. If you want to stay longer, you will need an Au Pair visa. The general requirements for this visa include being between 17 and 30 years old, proof of health insurance and means of support and valid passport.

You can apply for the visa at the Spanish Embassy and Consulates. Read more information at the official migration website.

Other nationalities:

if you have any other nationality you will need a student visa with a work permit. Please keep in mind that you will need a valid passport and an enrollment confirmation from a recognised institution.

You can check all the student visa requirements in the Spanish Embassy at your home country.