Beautiful landscapes, incredible summers and friendly people. For these reasons, Sweden is becoming a popular Au Pair destination. This experience will not only help you learn a new language but also explore Scandinavia. Known for its high quality of life, Sweden is without a doubt a great place to experience a year abroad.

Au Pair in Sweden – At a glance

Au Pair in Sweden

Au Pair in Sweden

Age: 18-30
Length of stay: 1 – 12 months
Working hours: 25 hours per week
Holiday: You are entitled to 4 weeks holidays (during a 12 month stay).
Traveling expenses: You have to pay for your own travel expenses.
Insurance: If you come from a EU-country member you can process the European Health Insurance Card. If you are not a permanent resident from any EU-country, the Host Family will need to get an insurance for you.
Pocket money: 3.500 SEK per month
Visa requirements: If you come from any EU member country, you do not need a visa. In case you don’t, you will need to get this permit in your country of residence.

Requirements for EU citizens:

Requirements for other nationalities:


  • are at least 18 and not older than 30 years old
  • do not have any medical problems
  • have experience working with kids
  • speak at least a bit of Swedish and you are interested in the Swedish culture
  • have valid passport or ID-card

  • are 18-30 years old
  • do not have any health problems
  • like to work with kids and have experience in babysitting
  • can speak at least a little bit of Swedish and are willing to attend a language course
    are interested in the Swedish culture
    meet all the visa requirements

Au Pair in Sweden – Visa application

If you do not hold a passport from any EU country you need to apply for a visa to Sweden to live the Au Pair experience.
You can apply for the visa at the Swedish embassy in your country of residence. In addition to the general requirements, you need to meet the following criteria:

Certificate of enrollment in a language course in Sweden
A written invitation from the Host Family. This letter must include all the details of your stay.

To apply for the visa you have to submit the application from number 131011, which you can download from the Swedish Embassy website in your country. You also need to make an appointment during which your fingerprints are taken. Other documentation needed for the process is: passport with copies and the invoice of the application.

Please contact the Swedish embassy in your
country for more information. If you are an Au Pair from EU and EFTA keep in mind that you still need a valid passport or ID to register once in Sweden.