Being an Au Pair in the United States is a once in a lifetime opportunity.Enjoy “The American way of life” with a Host Family! Discover cities such as New York, LA, Chicago or San Francisco through the Au Pair Experiencience.

Au Pair in the USA

Au Pair in the USA

Au Pair in the USA – At a glance

Age: 18 – 26 years
Duration: 12 months. It is possible to extend the stay for 6, 9 or even 12 months.
Working hours: 45 hours per week (not more than 10 hours / day)
Holidays: 2 weeks of holiday for a 12 month stay. Au Pairs will also have at least 1,5 free and a free weekend each month.
Insurance: Paid by the Host Family
Pocket money: U.S. $ 780 per month (U.S.$ 195 / week)
Visa: All Au Pairs in the USA require a J-1 visa. You need to apply for this visa through one of the American Au Pair agencies, also know as Sponsors.



  • are between 18 and 26 years old
  • don’t have your own children
  • can speak good English
  • are not a smoker and you are healthy
  • can pay for a local agency and cover the visa expenses
  • are willing to stay at least 12 months in the USA
  • have at least 200 hours in childcare experience in the last 2 years

J – 1 Visa application

To be an Au Pair in the USA you need to apply for a J-1 Visa with the help of a local agency. Here are some important things you need to know about the application process:

The J-1 exchange-visitor visa can only be issued if you have applied through one of the National American Au Pair agencies. This visa is only valid if the stay is for an academic exchange / cultural program.

If you are a citizen of the EU, you must apply for the visa using the DS-2019 Form. This is provided by the sponsor agency.

When applying for the visa, you need to submit a background check, including your criminal record. You must also make an appointment and present your documents at the U.S Embassy in your country.

You also need: a valid passport, the electronic application form (DS-156), a biometric passport photo, and a stamped envelope (which sufficient stamps for your passport, payment confirmation of the Au Pair visa application, and proof of permanent residence in your home country).

Do not forget to contact a local agency and the United States Embassy in your residence country.

Important links

J-1 Visa Exchange Visitor Program
The Au Pair Exchange Program