Au Pair in Finland

Au Pair Finland

Finland is the seventh biggest country in Europe. Incredible islands, forests and lakes welcome you to the great North! In addition, the Cathedral in Helsinki, the Olavinlinna castle and the Linnasaari National Park are waiting for you!

As an Au Pair you will live with a Host Family and experience nature from the inside. You will also learn much more about Finland’s culture and improve your language skills.

Au Pair in Finland

As part of the Au Pair program in Finland, you will live 9 months with a Host Family. You will help with the childcare and House chores up to 30 hours per week. Your Host Family will take care of your accommodation, meals and pay you a monthly pocket money.

  • Age: 17 – 30
  • Length of stay: 9 – 12 months
  • Working hours: 30 hours per week. Au Pairs can work up to 5 hours each day.
  • Holiday: you will get 1-2 week’s paid holiday for a 6-month stay. You will also have one free day per week.
  • Travel costs: Covered by you
  • Insurance: Paid by the Host Family. It needs to cover accidents and illness.
  • Pocket money: At least 70 € per week. Keep in mind that you will also pay taxes since this is considered a salary.
  • Language course: you need to attend to a language course in order to learn Finnish or Swedish
  • Visa: EU-applicants do not need a visa. Non-EU-candidates can apply for the Au Pair visa to Finland.


  • Age: 18 – 30
  • Single and with no children of your own
  • Experience in Childcare
  • Language:  Fluent English or Finnish
  • Driving license: not mandatory
  • Insurance and medically fit
  • Non Smoker
  • Duration of the stay: al least 9 months


The Au Pair Program in Finland can start anytime. Here you will find a glance to the program:

1. Application
After sending your application, the agency will send you an E-mail confirmation. Once you have gathered all the documents, the agency will send them to their Partner in Finland.

2. Looking for a Host Family
The Finnish partners will look for a family for you and send them your application!

3. Placement
If the Host Family is interested, the agency will send you their profile and you can agree on a video call. If you reach an agreement, then the placement is done!

4. Book the flight
Once you have a Host Family its time to book the flight to Finnland and live the adventure!

6. Departure
The agency will give you the contact information from their partner in the Host Country.


As an Au Pair from the European Union you do not need a visa to travel to Finland. However, you require a valid identity card to register at the local office to apply for a residence permit if the stay is longer than 90 days.


You need to apply for a visa in your home country. To get the visa, you will need a language certificate, clear criminal record, health certificate, reference letters of previous childcare experience and the filled application form.

Once in Finland, do not forget to register at the local office. For this step, you need a recent medical report and a confirmation of registration in a language course. Of course, you also need the signed Au Pair contract, daily schedule with the family and a valid passport.

For more information about the Au Pair visa to Finland please contact the Finnish embassy in your country of residence.



If you are a citizen of the EU make sure to get the European Health insurance card. If you have a different nationality please apply for a private insurance. A good option might be  PROTRIP-WORLD.


Au Pair Workshops

For all those who want to discover the world, Au Pair agencies offer free information meetings in which you can find out more about the Au Pair Programs.

To help you get ready for your Au Pair stay, agencies also offer Workshops in which you will learn more about the daily life of an Au Pair, get ideas for children games and activities and advice on how to deal with homesickness.  You can also share your concerns and doubts with your advisors.