Being an Au-Pair in the USA is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Enjoy “The American way of life” with a Host Family! Discover cities such as New York, LA, Chicago or San Francisco through the Au-Pair Experience. We have compiled the most important facts about the program. In this article, we will tell you how you can make your dream come true. Just keep on reading!
Au-Pair in the USA
- Age: 18 – 26 years
- Duration: 12 months. It is possible to extend the stay for 6, 9 or even 12 months.
- Working hours: 45 hours per week (not more than 10 hours/day)
- Holidays: 2 weeks of holiday for a 12 month stay. Au-Pairs will also have at least 1,5 free and a free weekend each month.
- Insurance: Paid by the Host Family
- Pocket money: U.S. $ 780 per month (U.S.$ 195 / week)
- Visa: All Au-Pairs in the US require a J-1 visa. You need to apply for this visa through one of the American Au-Pair agencies, also known as sponsors.
Free time and Travel
As a candidate of this program, you have the chance to attend a College course during your stay. This is actually a requirement of the J-1 visa. Therefore, the course needs to meet the regulations set by the permit. After the arrival, you can contact your coordinator to get more information about your options. Of course, you can also attend a language course.
Once you have stayed for 12 months, you can use the 13th month to travel around the USA.
Au Pair Workshops
Au-Pair agencies organize free information meetings for all those who wish to discover more about the program in the USA!
Agencies also offer workshops in which you will learn more about the daily life of an Au-Pair in the USA, your chores, get ideas for children games and activities and advice on how to deal with homesickness and adapt to the American lifestyle. You can also share your concerns and doubts with your advisors.