Au Pair in Italy

Au Pair in Italy

Being an Au Pair in Italy is the best way to learn Italian and discover this interesting culture with a special passion for life. Italy will take your breath away with its impressive architecture, rich history, and unique lifestyle. Discover its cafés, museums, and monuments during a stay in Rome, Florence, Siena or any other Italian city.

Au Pair in Italy

  • Age: 18 – 30 years
  • Duration: 3 – 12 months
  • Working time: 30 hours per week
  • Holidays: 4 weeks holidays in a 12 month stay. You will also have one free day per week. At least once a month, this day needs to be a Sunday.
  • Travel costs: normally paid by the Au Pair.
  • Insurance: Au Pairs from the European Union are insured through the European Health Insurance Card. All other Au Pairs require a private insurance for their stay.
  • Pocket money: 260 € per month
  • Visa requirements: You do not need a visa if you are a EU national. In any other case, you will need to apply for this permit at the Italian embassy in your country.


  • Age: 18 – 30
  • Single and with no children of your own
  • Experience in Childcare
  • Language: Basic Italian and English
  • Driving license: not mandatory (but its always an advantage)
  • Insurance and medically fit. No psychological problems in the last 3 years.
  • Non Smoker
  • Duration of the stay: at least 6 months, ideal 9-12 months


1. Application
After sending your application and gathered all the documents, the agency will send your profile to their partner in Italy and start the search for a Host Family.

2. Looking for a Host Family
The Italian partner agency will search for a family for you and send them your application!

3. Placement
If the Host Family is interested, the agency will send you their application so you can plan a video call. If you reach an agreement, then congratulations!

4-. Visa
Be sure to apply for the Student visa in case you need it.

4. Departure
Once you have a Host Family its time to book the flight and start getting ready for Italy to live “la bella vita”


If you are a citizen of another country, you do need a visa to be an Au Pair. You have different options depending on your nationality: Working Holiday Visa or Student visa with Work permit.

You need to apply for the visa at the Italian embassy in your residence country. Once in Italy, you must process a residence permit at the local police station.

Working Holiday Visa

If you are a citizen of Australia, New Zealand or Canada, you can apply for a Working Holiday Visa in your residence country. Once approved it is time to start the adventure!

Student Visa

To get this visa, you will need to join a full time (20 hours a week) Italian course.

In case you want to stay for less than 90 days and your country does not need a tourist visa to Italy you might also be able to be an Au pair. For this, you will need a safety declaration, the request called Nulla Osta and send it to the Au Pair per post. We recommend contacting the Italian Embassy in case of any doubts.


As a citizen of the European Union, you can use the European Health Insurance card during your stay abroad. Keep in mind that to get a visa in Italy you will need to get a private insurance.



“It is a new experience and you cannot easily forget it and through which I meta lot of nice people with whom I shared a wonderful time in Italy and who will always be important for me” – Mareike, Au Pair in Italy

“I was an Au Pair for a year in Rome and it was a great year full of experiences. I think that anyone, who is a bit brave and want to try something new, should try the experience.” – Miriam, Au Pair in Italy

Au Pair Workshops

Au Pair agencies organize free information meetings in which you can find out more about this cultural exchange.

To help you get ready for your Au Pair stay, agencies also offer Workshops in which you will learn more about the responsibilities of an Au Pair, your daily life in the host country and get ideas for children games and activities.  You will also get valuable advice and tips!