Being an Au-Pair in the UK is still one of the most popular adventures that young people dream of. The UK is not only known for the Royals, the Beatles, the afternoon tea and Fish and Chips. All these British icons surely make the UK a great Au-Pair destination. But the country has so much more to offer: interesting and vibrant cities (London!), beautiful landscapes and a new culture to delve into. The best part: you will improve your English skills. Since Au-Pairs live with a Host Family during the stay, you will get a lot of exposure to British English. And you will get the chance to improve your skills in exchange with native speakers.
Did we convince you of pursuing your dream? Then keep on reading and find out more information about the requirements and the application for the UK program.
Facts about the program in the UK
- Age: 17 – 30 years for European Union Citizens, 18 – 30 other nationalities
- Duration: 6 – 24 months
- Working time: 30 hours per week
- Holiday: 4 weeks holiday for a 12-month stay. You will also have at least one day off per week. Once a month, this day must be a Sunday.
- Travel costs: paid by the Au-Pair.
- Insurance: If you are an EU citizen, you can apply for the European Health Insurance Card. If you have a different nationality, you will need private health insurance. Host Families must register their Au-Pair in the National Health Service (NHS).
- Pocket money: 75-80 GBP per week
If you are interested in the Au-Pair program, you can always search for the workshops organized by local agencies. There you will be able to find out more about the program.
To help you get ready for your Au-Pair year, agencies also organize workshops in which you will learn more about the daily life of an Au-Pair in the UK, get ideas for children games and activities and some tips on how to deal with homesickness. The staff will also provide you with some tips about how to adapt to the British lifestyle.
The workshop is also the best opportunity to ask your questions. You can share your concerns and doubts and find people who will work as an Au-Pair just like you! Use your chance to find like-minded friends even before the program starts!