The Au Pair duties are to support the Host Family in their everyday life and to be an additional help. He or she takes care of the family's kids. In Germany and many other countries, they work a maximum of 30 hours per week and 6 hours per day. The Au-Pair is entitled to 1.5 consecutive days off per week and 4 weeks of holiday per year.
The Au-Pair's main task is to look after the children. This includes the following tasks:
- Taking the children to school or kindergarten and picking them up
- Helping with homework
- Playing, crafting and reading together
- Planning and carrying out activities, e.g. visits to playgrounds
- Accompanying to appointments and meetings with friends
- Doing the children's laundry
- Dressing children, bringing them to bed and bathing
- Feeding babies
In addition to looking after the children, an Au-Pair also takes care of light household tasks:
- Washing and ironing the children's clothes
- Preparing small meals
- Emptying the dishwasher
- Tidying up the children's rooms
- Making small purchases
What is an Au-Pair not responsible for?
An Au-Pair has certain duties regarding childcare and household. However, they should not be used by the Host Parents as a domestic helper, cleaning lady or language teacher and should not be burdened with additional tasks.
Therefore, Au-Pairs are not responsible for the following tasks:
- Cleaning private areas in the household (e.g. the bedroom or bathroom of the Host Parents)
- Car wash
- Doing the laundry for the whole family
- Cooking elaborate meals for all family members
- Renovation work
- Working in the garden
However, the Au-Pair is free to decide whether they wish to carry out one of the above voluntarily.
To ensure that the duties are clearly defined and limited, an Au-Pair contract should be filled out before the start of employment. This contract contains the Au-Pair's duties during their stay and must be signed by both parties.
A contract ensures that both parties agree to the responsibilities and the general framework of the Au-Pair program.
Do you want to find out about the requirements to host an Au Pair? Then read more here.