How to become an Au-Pair
How to become an Au-Pair? This is a question that we receive frequently. Find out if you meet the Au-Pair requirements:
- Age: 18 - 30 years, single and without children
- Experience in childcare and domestic work
- Driving license advantageous
- Non-smoking is an advantage
- Good knowledge of the language of the target country
- Completed school education an advantage
- In good health
- A few months time
Do you like working with children, are you enthusiastic about culture and would you like to live abroad for a longer period of time? Then the Au-Pair program is just right for you! Whether you can participate in the program always depends on the country's regulation. Here we will give you an overview of the general program requirements.
Who can become an Au-Pair?
If you meet the following requirements, you have a good chance of participating in the program:
- As an Au-Pair you should be between 18 and 30 years old.
- At best, you are single and have no children.
- An important prerequisite is that you enjoy working with children. In order to participate in the program, you should therefore already have some experience in childcare.
- As a rule, at least two references in childcare are required. Depending on the program, proof of babysitting may also be required.
- The candidate should be in good health and be able to support the Host Family for 20 to 40 hours per week in childcare and household activities. The health condition must be proven with a certificate.
- For a better chance of finding a family, you should ideally be a non-smoker.
- As an Au-Pair, you should be able to present an impeccable police clearance certificate.
- A driving licence and driving experience are advantageous. Depending on the host country, an international driving licence must also be applied for.
- You should already have basic knowledge of the language of the Host Country.
- The visa requirements for an Au-Pair stay vary from country to country. It is therefore best to get in touch as early as possible with the responsible embassy in your country.
- As a rule, you should have at least six months time, ideally 9-12 months, to work abroad. In the summer months, depending on the destination country, a 3-month employment as a summer Au-Pair is also possible.
- Last but not least, an interest in the culture and language of the country is an important requirement.
You can find more detailed information about the Au-Pair requirements on the page of our favorite program.